Introduction to Aether
Try It For Yourself
- Install and Configure
- A Simple Aether-Based Solution
- A More Complex Aether-Based Solution
- Adding Aether Connect
Aether UI User Guide
Set up Mac for evaluating Aether and Gather
This guide will take you through the steps required to get your Mac ready to evaluate and use Gather and Aether in a Non Production environment. This is the same configuration that our internal developers use. It uses Docker images to host the processes within a self contained virtual environment. When that environment is deleted, all data will be lost.
- 64-bit, Intel based computer with at least 8GB RAM
- Internet connection
- OS X El Capitan 10.11 and newer macOS releases.
- Both server and client browser are running on the same machine
- You have Administrator and
These instructions have been tested with macOS High Sierra 10.13.
Overview of the setup process
- Verify these ports are not in use: 80, 8000, 8443 and 5000
- Git is installed
- Docker and Docker Compose are installed. It helps if Docker can be run as a non-root user
In order to interact with the services via browser, the following ports must be available:
- 80 - for the Aether and Gather UI
- 8000 - for experimenting with the Aether REST API
- 8443 - for ODK Collect to connect to the server
- 5000 - for interacting with the CKAN Portal
Verify Available Ports - At the shell command line, run the lsof command below and verify that the above ports are not in use. The screenshot shows what an in use port looks like. Terminate the processes that are using any of the above ports.
sudo lsof -nPiTCP -sTCP:LISTEN
Verify Docker, Docker Compose and Git versions - These tools need to be installed in order to install and run the Gather and Aether services. Execute the following commands, verify the versions and go to the corresponding section for install instructions.
Docker version 18.x or newer Docker Compose version 1.20.x or newer and git version 2.7.x or newer
docker --version docker-compose --version git --version
Install Docker and Docker Compose - A graphical installer for Mac is available on the Docker website. Please follow the Get Docker Community Edition for Mac install instructions. Docker Compose will also be installed with the installer.
Install/Upgrade Git - Git has a graphical installer for Mac available on their website. Please download and follow Installing on Mac instructions. If you get the message that the install package is from an unknown developer, go to System Preferences and open the Security & Privacy app and press the Open Anyway button.
Congratulations!!! Your environment should now be set up to try Aether or Gather.